Monday, May 21, 2007

Protecting the Elderly from Telemarketing Scams

The Elderly are frequent targets of fraud. Here is a very scary article from the New York Times. I recommend sending or reading this article to all your elderly relatives.

I also suggest you check the credit of all your elderly relatives if they will let you help them. See the blog article regarding Identity Theft.

I would also place all my elderly relatives on the Do Not Call List which should eliminate most solicitation calls. Telemarketing calls are a way many scammers bilk the elderly.

Since mail can easily be stolen, a secured (locking) mailbox is a great idea. I would also register all of my elderly relatives on the no credit card solicitation list. This list is legitamite and is endorsed by the Federal Trade Commission.

In fact, it would be smart to implement many of these ideas for yourself. A little time now could save you from becoming an identity theft victim

No comments: